With carry-on baggage allowance getting smaller and smaller, minimizing your makeup has become essential for travel. Here are 7 hard-working, multi-tasking items that will successfully get you through your vay-cay or business trip without sacrificing too much of your beauty routine.
1. Tinted moisturizer/ BB cream with sunscreen lets you forgo the foundation for a lighter look that will protect your face from harmful UV rays, even out your complexion, give you a dewy glow and keep your skin from that tight-dry feeling. Laura Mercier’s has great coverage, is 20 SPF and comes in an oil-free version.
2. Translucent or sheer powder is great for layering with tinted moisturizer for a little extra coverage. Alone it can help cover redness, set your makeup, make your eyelashes thicker (apply lightly to lashes before mascara!) or tone down hot weather shine. MAC makes the best of the best, in our opinion!
3. Mascara might not multi-task much, but nothing can replace this beauty staple. Layer on Diorshow thick for an evening out and everyone will think you’re wearing falsies!
4. Brown eyeliner will double as eyeliner to accentuate your eyes and as a brow pencil, so you’ll get that statement Cara Delavigne power brow.
5. Dr. Bronner’s soap — Use it as shampoo, body wash, to wash dishes or clothes in a pinch. They come in small bottles that are perfect carry-on sizes. Since it’s extra concentrated, a minuscule amount goes a long way! The Morgans Hotel Group, which includes the Mondrian in South Beach, offers guests the lavish Malin+Goetz which is made in the U.S. from locally-sourced natural botanicals, free from parabens, synthetic perfumes and dyes, and are not tested on animals. If you’re staying there, you can just leave the Dr. Bronner’s at home.
6. Coconut oil is the ultimate beauty hack. Use it as an all-over moisturizer, including your face and on your hair (as shine serum, deep conditioner, and blow-dry prep). Did we mention it’s 10 SPF? So using it as face moisturizer gives you the added bonus of sun protection, although we still recommend doubling up with much stronger protection. It also soothes sunburns and you can use it to remove even the most waterproof mascara. Transfer a small amount of coconut oil into a travel-sized jar and you’re ready to go.
7. Nars The Multiple will make your entire body glow. This handy little stick works perfectly as blush, eyeshadow, lipstick and even as highlighter on strategic parts of your body for a little extra glow (shoulders and décolletage). Best part is that you apply it with your fingers, eliminating the necessity for several brushes.